Monday, March 7, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Find

I was talking to a friend of mine last week and she was telling about this tradition her and some of her friends started where every Friday they go to a new place. They all carpool together to work and each day they would pass all of these places that they realized they have never been or and some they had never even heard of. Each day they would say something along the lines of "we should go there sometime" or "I want to try that one day" or "That looks like a cool place, I wonder what they sell?".

They finally got tired of just wanting and dreaming about visiting these places and they decided to do something about it. And what they decided was that every Friday after work before they went home they would go to one of these stores that they have seen and try it out. They have done this for about a month and loved it. They have found some interesting places, some weird places, and some really cool places that are on their list to visit again.

I really liked this idea of trying out new stores and new places. Like them I have seen stores around that I have always wanted to try out. You never what you are going to find in them. They could be a dump but they could also be a treasure. Plus, there are some really cool places that I have heard about that I have always wanted to try as well. Therefore, I decided that it was about time that I start trying them out. If I want to know what is in these places and what they are like them I have to actually go to them. I decided that I would start going to a new place each week and just see how it goes. I figured that I don't actually have to spend a lot of time in each place, I just have to go and get the feel of it. Then if I like it it can be added to my list of places to return to. I also decided that the day I would go would be Friday. It seems to work best with the work schedule.

Last Friday was my first Friday visit and it went quite well if I do say so myself. I have chosen to go to a place that I had heard a lot about but had never been. and on the plus side, I even knew where it was. I choose to go to The Blue Plate Diner.
Located: 21 South 21 East in Salt Lake
Open: 7am to 10pm
Food: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
*They have Vegan and Vegetarian as well
Prices: Decent

Now, the parking is not great, practically non existent, and the place can be crowded, but it more then makes up for it. This is a place that I truly enjoyed and will go to again. The atmosphere is classic old school diner. It reminds me of Luke's Diner in Gilmore Girls. It is loud, in a good way, cozy, filled with local art, music in the air, patio seating, and above all great food at decent prices. They serve Breakfast all day long and then Lunch and Dinner starting at 11am. The waitress are nice and the service is pretty quick.

Since it was my first time there I decided to order Breakfast and went with The Utah Omelet. It was filled with ham, peppers, onions, and cheese. It came with the omelet, toast, and hash fries which were amazingly good. And yes, I did eat it all.
The Blue Plate Diner is a place that I am looking forward to visiting again. It exceeded my expectations and left me wanting more. All in all, I would say that my first Friday Find was a fabulous one and I can't wait to find some more.

2 comments:

Matt and Marci said...

I LOVE the Blue Plate Diner! It's quirky atmosphere is so fun and the food really is awesome! What a fun idea to start "Friday's Fabulous Finds!"

Unknown said...

This is a great idea! I've never heard of the Blue Plate diner but it sounds fantastic. If you ever want a "Finding Buddy" you know where to find me ;)